Thursday, September 19, 2013

Independence Oaks





Over the weekend I had the chance to visit Independence Oaks, which is a county park located in Clarkston Michigan. Independence Oaks covers a span of 1,276 acres. Throughout this park there are many trails that are primarily used for hiking, cross-country skiing, or biking. At this park you can go swimming, camping, fishing etc. There are so many available outdoors opportunities.
I have always enjoyed going to parks but I particularly liked this one because I haven’t been to a park this enormous in a long time. It is a great place for me to take the kids that I am babysitting or even for me to walk my dog.
While I was there I chose to hike the trails. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the nature that was around me.  I saw many animals and insects and the lake was absolutely beautiful to walk around.
In the main center of the park there is a beach for kids to swim, a volleyball court, a playground and a widespread gazebo filled with picnic tables. There is also a nature center that holds programs for adults and kids. At this nature center there is hands-on natural history exhibit and a feeding station viewing area. I was unable to visit the nature center, but however I did visit the Cohn Amphitheater, which is an outdoor theater that’s seats around two hundred guests. This theater is used for shows and even weddings. I thought this area was special because woods surrounded it and it seemed to be a place that was very old, but still often used.
I plan on visiting this park again especially in the winter time. I think that it would be really cool to visit with all the snow and walk the trails. I definitely recommend visiting independence oaks and bringing your family for lunch and a swim. It costs five dollars to park your car, but once you are in you have the whole park to decide what you want to do!













No comments:

Post a Comment